Sunscreen, also known as sunblock or sun cream, is a protective skin product that absorbs or reflects some of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation and protects you against skin cancer, sunburn, and premature aging. Let’s get into the “heat” of why sunscreen is an important part of your daily skincare regimen, and then we will give you a list of our top five sun care products!
Who needs sunscreen and when?
The answer to the question of who needs sunscreen is simple…everyone, regardless of their age, because skin cancer does not discriminate. As for when to apply, we recommend putting sun protection of at least SPF 15 or higher on all exposed skin at least 30 minutes before going outside (especially if you plan on getting in the water, so it doesn’t just wash off) and reapply it every two hours. You should be using about a shot glass-sized amount (one ounce) for your entire body for each application.
Don’t let cloudy days fool you. On a cloudy day, up to 80% of the sun’s UV rays can penetrate the clouds, making cloudy days just as dangerous as a sunny day because you don’t realize just how much exposure you’ve gotten until it’s too late.
The effects of the sun on you skin over time
There are short-term effects as well as long-term effects of too much sun exposure.
Sunburn is an example of short-term damage. Due to contrary belief, it doesn’t take more than 15 minutes of exposure to the sun’s UV rays to get one, although it may not show up or hurt for a few hours after it happens. Sunburns are known for their reddened skin and are usually accompanied by pain and blistering. In extreme cases, it can cause second-degree burns.
Long-term damage shows up after a considerable amount of sun exposure over a longer period. This includes wrinkles, sun spots, darkened skin, freckles, and moles, and these can develop into cancer cells over time. You may also start to see dryness, sagging, as well as a dull and leathery look to your skin. Your skin can bruise easily and have “age spots” due to too much UV exposure.
Our favorite sun protection products
Skin care is what we do, so we strongly believe in products that keep you safe and looking your best. Here are our top five favorite sun protection products and why we recommend them:
- Daily Brightening UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 30 – We love that this product is a triple threat to the sun by protecting, moisturizing, and lightening up brown spots already on your skin.
- Skincredible Antioxidant Moisturizing Sunscreen – Part of our signature product line, Skincredible Antioxidant Moisturizing Sunscreen, protects and hydrates Protect and hydrate with the benefit of natural antioxidants that help to reduce pigmentation and fine lines and wrinkles.
- Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Brush-On Shield SPF 50 – Not a fan of sprays or lotions? Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection is meant to be brushed on, so you don’t have to worry about smearing it or getting it on your hands. It’s mineral based and is fast and easy to use. This is a great product for anyone who hates sunscreen or patients who are prone to acne flare-ups and blackheads.
- Skinceuticals Sheer Physical Fusion – Skinceuticals Sheer Physical Fusion is a non-tinted, mineral sunscreen for your face. It provides weightless, broad spectrum protection with a transparent finish and is formulated with ingredients to enhance and boost the skin’s natural defenses to UV- and heat-induced stress
- Skincredible Perfect Matte Tinted Sunscreen – This product is smooth and soft, whipped to perfection. It goes on light and provides great, silky coverage all over the face. This one is ideal for patients who do not enjoy wearing make-up.